Today, the organizers of major international sporting events must be exemplary in their eco-responsible approach and thus contribute to changing the behaviors and habits of athletes, partners and spectators in a sustainable manner to change the social norm and reduce their environmental footprint.
As such, the Les Gets 2022 Organizing Committee is committed to adopting a virtuous and meaningful approach to minimize its environmental impact and leave a positive legacy for the various publics and the territory.
We are therefore committed to having the 2022 UCI MTB World Championships recognized as an “eco-event“.
This charter, initiated by the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region, allows us to obtain the “Gold” diploma for our eco-event, thanks to the different eco-actions implemented for this event.
Here are the 5 areas of action on which we are committed to act :
- Cleaning of the site and collection of waste by dedicated volunteers
- All the actors of the event are mobilized and involved in the eco-responsible approach so that their actions made within the framework of the organization of the World Championships respect the environment as much as possible (see Team Guide, media guide, …)
- Commitment to return the site to its original state
- Selective sorting (glass / plastic waste / food waste)
- Clikeco team for the recovery, sorting and collection of dangerous waste used on the site, in particular by the teams/partners: oils, aerosols, tires, hoses, wheels, lubricants, chains, brake pads, …
- Responsible food for volunteers, staff and the public
- Low meat or vegetarian alternative menu
- Promoting local production and short circuits for catering
- Limiting food waste during events by accurately assessing needs
- Uneaten products are systematically offered to the staff of the House of Les Gets (Town Hall, Tourist Office and Ski Lifts)
- No use of disposable dishes, washing of dishes
- Use of dry toilets
- Reuse of signage from previous events
- Distribution of pocket ashtrays at the ski lift ticket offices.
- Purchase of eco-cups under guarantee during the events.
- Metal water bottle provided in the volunteers’ goodies pack and encouragement to drink spring water (no distribution of water bottles)
- Use of social networks to spread the maximum of information
- Optimization of the distribution of paper documents
- Printing of documents on recycled paper or FSC/PEFC certified paper
- Printing of documents with vegetable inks or with a “green printer”.
- Identification within the organizing committee of people responsible for the “Sustainable Development” approach
- Raising awareness of volunteers and collaborators to eco-responsible practices (see Volunteer Guide, Team Guide, Media Guide, …)
- Raising awareness of teams and partners on the collection of special waste by the company Clikeco
- Information and awareness of the public on the measures put in place: Official Program and Website
- Obtaining the gold charter certified by the AURA region which recognizes the UCI MTB World Championships 2022 as an eco-event
- Bike parking and relay parking (in Morzine)
- The event is mainly pedestrian
- Free shuttles throughout the event in the resort
- Free shuttles to and from Morzine Les Gets Taninges Les Gets to neighboring towns
- Ski lifts open to the public to access the slopes (Mont-Chéry & Chavannes gondolas)
- Valuation of the commitment of volunteers by a meal, an evening, thanks
- Public reception platform with access for people with reduced mobility
- The event is free and therefore accessible to all